Choosing a local windshield replacement or auto glass repair shop that guarantees you a safe and properly installed windscreen is important both to your safety and that of your passengers. These days’ windshields do a lot more than to just keep the rain, bugs and wind out while providing good visibility. It is a complex engineered system performing critical functions in the design of your car such as:
- Your windscreen prevents you from being ejected during a road accident.
- The safest place to be during a road accident is in the vehicle itself. Your windscreen is an important barrier that keeps you inside the vehicle. If you don’t replace your cracked windscreen (or a poorly installed one) you can roll over or fail during a collision, allowing you or your passenger to be ejected out of the vehicle. A passenger ejected from a vehicle is much more likely to experience major injuries or even death. Cracked windshields expose the laminate structure that joins the separate sheets of glass in the windshield, resulting in delaminating and major damage to its structure. It is this so-called delaminating that results in a major reduction in the structural integrity of the entire vehicle.
- Your windshield is control the deployment of the vehicle’s air bags.
- Almost all modern vehicles are equipped with airbags. The passenger side airbag deploys upward and bounces off the windscreen to protect the passenger in case of an accident. When the airbag system deploys, it does so at 100 – 200 miles per hour. Needless to say, a cracked auto glass lacks the structural integrity necessary to absorb such force; thus it can result in passengers ejected and seriously injured or killed if the airbag deployment is deformed or interrupted by the windshield’s failure. In addition, a low quality or improper windshield replacement that fails will subject a vehicle’s passengers to the same risk of airbag mis-deployment as a cracked windscreen.
- Windshields support the vehicle’s roof.
- A vehicle’s windscreen is designed to prevent the roof from deforming thus crushing you in a roll over road accident. It’s important to promptly replace your windscreen because a crack in it will not meet any of the ANSI windshield safety and performance standards. Industry experts have estimated that windscreens provide up to 75% of the structural integrity in a rollover accident. A cracked auto glass may fail to support the car’s roof if the car flips over for some reason, causing severe injury or death to its passengers.
Whatever your case is, the moment you spot a crack on your windscreen you should act right away! If you are a resident of California, feel more than welcome to visit one of our auto glass shops. With shops in seven major cities, including La Verne and Ontario, CA, Nike Auto Glass is one of the premiere glass shops in the state! Drop by and you won’t regret it!